Replacing your HVAC system, whether it is your aging Furnace or an Air Conditioner isn’t
something that you look forward to, but it’s an inevitable task at some point. Comparing the benefits
and the actual cost of repairs versus system replacement can help you make the best financial
As a good rule of thumb, Consumer Reports recommends replacing a product when repairs exceed 50%
of the cost of a new one.
When Replacement Makes Sense
Replacing your heating or cooling system is a viable option if:
– You’ve dealt with multiple repairs in a short amount of time. Older systems that haven’t been
properly maintained are more likely to develop problems.
– Even after you invest in repairs, something else could go wrong. Mechanical things age and
– A new air conditioner could reduce your HVAC-related electricity bills by 20 percent.
– You may also qualify for efficiency incentives offered by your local utility company.
When Repairs Make Sense
Repairs are usually justified on:
– newer systems that are still relatively efficient because you wouldn’t gain much by upgrading.
– If your heating or cooling system is older but is in good condition and has been well maintained,
you can invest in a furnace repair with confidence, especially if it’s the first problem that you’ve
– Maybe you don’t plan on living in the home for a number of years more, repairing a system may
make more financial sense for you.
Unfortunately, there are some HVAC contractors today that automatically jump to replacing systems.
If you as the client and homeowner are feeling “sales pressure” to purchase a new system, we suggest
slowing the process down and getting a free second opinion from Browns Heating and Cooling.
We have seen a lot times where it can be an easy fix and replacement isn’t the best solution.
When people ask should I repair or replace, we discuss the facts. The age of the equipment, how
many repairs they have had, and how long they plan on being in the home. Those factors really will
show the best option.
Ultimately we feel the best thing we can do is give ensure you have all the facts to make an informed decision. Whether you choose to repair or replace, we’ll stand behind your choice.