Skip navigation

Menu

Brown's Heating & Cooling Blog

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning with the Defender CO Detector!

carbon-monoxide-monitor

One of our core values here at Brown’s Heating & Cooling is “Safety First”! This is why we can’t say enough good things about getting the right carbon monoxide (CO) detector in your home. If you have a gas furnace, gas oven, or any gas-powered appliance, there is a danger of gas leaks and therefore, CO exposure. Think you’re not at risk? You should probably know every year there are fatalities due to excess carbon monoxide exposure, and low-level exposure over a long period of time is just as dangerous as high-level exposure.

Fortunately, you need only to reach out to our team to learn about a new low-level CO detector called the Defender Low Level Carbon Monoxide Monitor. For a limited time, we are offering $200 off of your furnace purchase, if you already have a CO detector or monitor in place, or free CO monitor with your furnace purchase. Even low levels of exposure can pose a significant risk to your health, and many don’t alert you until levels are quite high. This monitor makes all the difference. Read on to learn more about the dangers of CO exposure and how this monitor helps.

Benefits of the Defender Low Level CO Monitor

We want to make sure that our customers truly understand what CO is and why it’s so harmful. It is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas that causes dizziness, nausea, and disorientation. Ultimately, it can lead to death. And yes, even at low levels! Any CO levels under 30 ppm can cause long-term health issues even after the source of the CO exposure is removed—such as neurological damage like learning and memory problems, emotional and personality issues, and sensory and motor disorders.

This isn’t anything to take lightly, and the installation of a Defender Low Level CO Monitor will help protect your health and that of your family. While other CO detectors will tell you if there is a high and immediately dangerous level of CO present in your household, the Defender monitor warns you before it even has a chance to get there, with excellent features such as:

  • Lithium battery powered
  • Sealed non-removable lifetime batteries
  • Automatic and manual battery activation
  • Accurate and reliable electrochemical sensor
  • And much more!

Why Is This Protection So Important?

You can be completely symptom-free but still be exposed to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. And CO poisoning does not discriminate. It doesn’t matter how old you are or how healthy you’ve historically been—you can be affected. Of course, there are some pre-existing conditions that make individuals more susceptible to harm from CO poisoning—those with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems fit the bill.

CO poisoning has the potential to harm unborn children too, leading to developmental disorders or worse. This CO exposure and poisoning comes from leaks from furnaces and other gas-powered appliances, but it can be prevented. In fact, the US Environmental Protection Agency provides a simple guide for prevention, using the acronym I CAN B:

  • Install CO alarms near all sleeping areas in your home.
  • Check heating systems and fuel-burning appliances annually (our team provides thorough inspections as part of your routine heating maintenance appointments).
  • Avoid the use of non-vented combustion appliances.
  • Never burn fuels inside, except in devices like stoves or furnaces made for indoor use.
  • Be attentive to the potential symptoms of CO poisoning:
    • Mild headache and breathlessness upon moderate exercise.
    • Flu-like symptoms, including severe headaches, dizziness, tiredness, nausea.
    • Irritability, confusion, or impaired judgement, memory, and coordination.

Carbon monoxide is sometimes called the “silent killer” because if these early indicators are ignored a person could lose consciousness and be unable to escape the danger.

If you do notice these symptoms in yourself or family members, then you should immediately get fresh air—open doors and windows and turn off all gas-powered appliances, then leave the home. Call your poison center immediately at 1-800-222-1222. From there, your poison experts will inform you if you should seek further medical attention.

Contact Brown’s Heating & Cooling today to take advantage of our current furnace and CO monitor promotion!

Comments are closed.